Options for students aged 18+

The information on this page is for students who will be 18+ on the day they enrol at Leeds College of Music. If you will be under 18 please look at our information about Accommodation for Under 18s.

There are many accommodation options available to students studying in Leeds. The most convenient for Leeds College of Music students is Joseph Stones House, a nine-storey complex situated on campus or nearby One Mill Street.

Joseph Stones House

Situated directly above the main conservatoire building, and boasting award-winning architecture and sweeping views of the city, Joseph Stones House comprises 190 study bedrooms, all with en-suite facilities, clustered in flats with shared kitchen and living spaces. The building is managed by Unite Students. We allocate 152 rooms directly through the conservatoire. You can find out more about Joseph Stones House at the Unite Students website.

One Mill Street

Situated a four minute walk from campus, One Mill Street is a large modern development.  It houses just under 450 students in cluster flats with a choice of en-suite or shared bathrooms. The accommodation features an on-site gym, lockable bike storage and a landscaped garden. We allocate fifty rooms directly through the conservatoire. You can find out more about One Mill Street on the Unipol website.

Applying for your place

Joseph Stones House and One Mill Street are now full for September 2017. Please read about other ‘halls of residence’ or ‘shared houses and flats’ below. If you need further advice, or would like to be added to a waiting list, please contact us

Other Halls of Residence

Other halls of residence are available in Leeds. You should contact the accommodation provider directly to find out about rental costs, deposits, what’s included and what will happen if you can’t take up your place of study in September.
Within a 20 minute walk from Leeds College of Music:

A longer walk or short bus ride from Leeds College of Music:

Shared houses and flats

If you would prefer to live in a shared house or flat, we strongly recommend you use the services of Unipol Student Homes, particularly if you are an international student.  Unipol is a reputable, charitable trust, partly funded by universities and colleges in Leeds (including Leeds College of Music) to help students find a place to live. It’s non-profit making and provides free and comprehensive services.
Unipol manage their own accommodation and also recommend houses, flats and rooms let by private landlords who have signed up to the Unipol Code of Conduct, giving reassurance that the property is good quality, safe and well managed.
Visit the Unipol website for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take out insurance, or am I covered?
If you live in Joseph Stones House, or any of the other private halls, you will generally get basic insurance cover as part of the deal – but we strongly advise that you insure your personal belongings, particularly if you will be bringing musical instruments, equipment, a computer etc. with you.
Endsleigh have policies designed for students at a reasonable cost, or you may get cover through your parent/guardian's house insurance.

Will I have to pay council tax?
If your house or flat is solely occupied by students, no. You will require a Council Tax Exemption Form, which can be obtained from the Student Enquiries Counter at the conservatoire once you have enrolled.

Do I need to get a TV licence?
If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV or use BBC iPlayer - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop), you will need a TV licence. If you are living in halls and you intend to have your own TV in your room, you must buy your own TV licence. If you are living in a shared house, you will need a TV licence to cover the house. Find out more at the TV Licencing website.

I need to make my first accommodation payment to be able to move in, but I haven't received my student loan yet. How do I make this payment?
In order for you to receive your room keys, the first accommodation payment is normally required over the summer before enrolment (around the end of August/beginning of September). This is standard procedure by all private accommodation companies.

As you will not receive your student loan until you have been enrolled by the conservatoire (enrolment triggers the payment system), ensure that you have enough money to cover your first accommodation payment and that you are not relying solely on your loan to pay it.

Will I have to pay a deposit? How much will it be and will I get it back?
When arranging rented accommodation you will be expected to sign a contract, in most cases for 12 months, and to pay a deposit of between £75 and £250. This is refunded at the end of the rental period unless you have caused any damage or loss to fixtures or furnishings.
As part of the Housing Act, deposits paid on Assured Shorthold Tenancies signed after April 2007 are protected. This scheme ensures good practice in deposit handling so that when a tenant pays a deposit and is entitled to receive it back, they can be assured this will happen. You can find more details on the Deposit Protection Scheme website.

I am planning to rent a room in a shared house. What should I check before I sign a tenancy agreement?
Most rooms in shared houses are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which will state that tenants are 'jointly and severally liable'. This expression means that all tenants are liable for the payment of all rents and all liabilities of each other that may fall on them during the tenancy, as well as for any breach of the agreement. So for example, if a tenant were to leave and not be replaced, you would still have to cover their share of the rent.
Whether you go through Unipol or look by yourself, be careful not to sign a contract unless you are sure you want to share with the other occupants, or you have checked that there actually are other people moving in to the house with you. It is extremely difficult to be released from a contract, whether in halls or shared houses, unless you can find someone to take over your room.

I am an international student and not sure what to do about finding my own accommodation. Where do you recommend I look?
For international students who do not get a place in Joseph Stones House or The Plaza, or prefer not to live there, it is advisable to use the services of Unipol.

Navigation: Accommodation

> Accommodation for students aged 18+
> Accommodation for students under 18

< Back to the Undergraduate homepage

Questions about accommodation?

0113 222 3411 |

More about life on campus


Prepare for a professional career through access to Leeds College of Music's state-of-the-art facilities


All our tutors are active musicians and experts in their field. Meet the professionals



From services to societies, Leeds College of Music Students' Union is at the centre of student life