Police registration

Information for international students

Students who hold passports from Commonwealth or EC countries do not usually have to register with the police but you should check for specific instructions stamped in your passport on arrival.
If you are from one of the following countries you will need to register with the police:
Afghanistan, Algerian, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.
You are only required to register with the police if you have been given permission to stay in the UK for more than six months.
When should I register with the police?

You should register with the police within seven days of arrival in Leeds. The police will not need to keep your passport. In the unusual case that the police ask, please insist that they take a photocopy of your passport instead.

Please note, you will need to pick up your Biometric Residence Permit before you register with the police.
How do I register with the police?

To register you need to go to the following address:

Pudsey Police Station,
Dawson’s Corner,
Bradford Road,
LS28 5TA

Tel: 0113 241 4917, or 0113 241 41817
Email: PoliceRegistration@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
NB: You get an automated system if you call. When the automated message gives you the option to enter an extension number, please Press 1, then key in one of the following extension numbers:  58117 or 58017 or 58060 or 58099. Finally, press #.

This office is open between 9am–1pm and 2.15pm–4pm Monday to Thursday. The office is very busy at lunch times so it is better to go either earlier or later in the day.
What do I need to take with me?

First complete a Police registration form online. You will then need to take (per person):

  • Your passport

  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

  • 1 passport sized photograph

  • The administration fee of £34 for each passport (in cash). There is no reduction in fee for married couples registering together.

How long does the police registration last?

The police registration certificate lasts indefinitely. If you lose your permit it needs to be replaced, which may involve paying the £34 admisinistration fee.
What if my circumstances change?

In the event of any of the changes below, you need to notify the police within seven working days. Please note: if you fail to notify the police promptly then there is the possibility of a fine of up to £5000 or a prison sentence.

  • Change of address

  • Change of course, college, university or occupation

  • Change of marital status

  • New entry visa granting an extension of stay

  • Extension of stay granted in the UK

  • If you are issued with a new passport

  • If you have a child born in the UK.

What happens when my visa is due to expire?

A letter will be sent to you from the Immigration and Nationality Department reminding you that your visa is due to expire. Please reply as requested in the letter.  If you need to extend your stay in the UK please read the information on these pages well in advance of your visa expiring so that you have plenty of time to prepare.
Do I need to inform the police when I go home at the end of my stay?

Contact the police by phone or email before you leave to tell them:

  • The date and place of your departure

  • The reference number from your police registration certificate


International enquiries
+44 (0)113 222 3457 | international@lcm.ac.uk

+44 (0)113 222 3514 | accommodation@lcm.ac.uk

International welfare
+44 (0)113 222 3514 | welfare@lcm.ac.uk

Scholarships and fee status
+44 (0)113 222 3419 | studentfunding@lcm.ac.uk

SU and societies
+44 (0)113 222 3507 | studentunion@lcm.ac.uk

Police contact details:

Pudsey Police Station,
Dawson’s Corner,
Bradford Road,
LS28 5TA

Tel: 0113 241 4917, or 0113 241 41817
Non-emergencies: 101

Emergencies: 999

Find out more

Further Education

With our BTECs in Music and Music Technology you can develop your musical interests and expertise in a Conservatoire environment


Refine your craft in Classical, Jazz, Popular, New Music, Production, Film Music or Music Business


Further your studies, focus on your specialism and work alongside Creative Practitioners with our MMus Creative Musician

Short Courses

Our short courses, community ensembles and summer schools allow musicians of all standards and ages to expand on their skills, meet like-minded learners and earn respected qualifications