Your money and living costs

International student support

Your living costs - How much will I need to live on?

Apart from your tuition fees, you will need to budget for:

  • Travel and Visa costs

  • Accommodation costs – Rent and Utility bills

  • Study Costs – Books, music, stationery and printing, storage devices for backing up your work, instrument maintenance and insurance. 

  • General living costs – food, phone bill, toiletries, laundry etc

  • Daily travel to College – If you don’t live within walking distance

  • Extras, social life etc

You can use the international student calculator to help you plan a budget before you arrive.  Go to  
Here are some estimated costs to help you plan your budget: 

This will vary according to where you wish to live and the length of the contract.

Joseph Stones House or other similar Hall of Residence.

Approximate weekly rent for En-suite room in shared flat £125 - £145
Approximate weekly rent for a studio room (self-contained) £160 - £175

Rents include utility bills, internet connection and basic insurance.  Contracts are usually for 43 weeks. Residences in the city centre are generally more expensive than those further away.

Room in a shared privately rented house or flat with other students:

Approximate weekly rent £70. 
Contracts are usually for a full year i.e. 52 weeks.    
This does not usually include utility bills, contents insurance or internet connection. You should allow at least another £20 per week for these.        
For more information about the different types of accommodation available in Leeds see
The overall cost for accommodation whether in a Hall of Residence, or a private house, is roughly the same, but the length of time you can stay is different.
Other costs  

In addition to the above costs we would suggest that you need to allow about another £80 per week at least, to cover food, laundry, books, stationery, mobile phone, and leisure.  You will also need to budget for other less regular costs such as a TV licence, household goods you may need, clothing, visa fees and travel costs.

For more useful information about budgeting and costs in the UK, see
Opening a Bank Account
You will need to open a UK bank account as soon as possible. 
Visit  for the most up to date advice on how to do this.
As well as the various ID documents, you will need a letter from Leeds College of Music, confirming your enrolment. Please go to Student Services on level 4 to request this. You will need to tell us which bank you are intending to use. We can only issue this after you have enrolled.
The following banks all have branches in Leeds city centre, where you can open an account:

Barclays The Headrow, Leeds 0345 7 345 345
Halifax King Edward Street 0113  2150716
HSBC Park Row Leeds 0345 6 040 626
Lloyds The Headrow, Leeds 0845 300 0000
Nationwide Albion Street Leeds 0113 2960100
NatWest Park Row Leeds 0345 7 888 444
Royal Bank of Scotland Park Row, Leeds 0113 245 1815
Santander Briggate Leeds 0551 143 1343

Remember that International students cannot obtain benefits in the UK and are required to have enough funds to cover their tuition fees and living costs.

Further questions?

Read our International students FAQ on the website.    
For further advice about all aspects of study in the UK see


International enquiries
+44 (0)113 222 3457 |

+44 (0)113 222 3514 |

International welfare
+44 (0)113 222 3514 |

Scholarships and fee status
+44 (0)113 222 3419 |

SU and societies
+44 (0)113 222 3507 |

Find out more

Short Courses

Our short courses, community ensembles and summer schools allow musicians of all standards and ages to expand on their skills, meet like-minded learners and earn respected qualifications


Refine your craft in Classical, Jazz, Popular, New Music, Production, Film Music or Music Business


Further your studies, focus on your specialism and work alongside Creative Practitioners with our MMus Creative Musician