Information for international students

When you first arrive in the UK, it is important that you make arrangements for your health care as soon as possible.

The National Health Service and Immigration Health Charge

As an international student (or a dependant of an international student) on a course lasting over 6 months, you will currently be entitled to receive health care under the National Health Service (NHS). However, if your country is not part of the European Economic Area then to use the service you must pay an immigration health charge of £150 for each year you will stay here as part of your visa application.

Provided that you meet the requirements, and if necessary pay the immigration health charge, you will have access to the same NHS cover as British citizens. This includes free consultations with your doctor and free hospital treatment, if required. For prescribed medicines, dental treatment and eye tests, small charges are payable.
If you come to the UK with a long-term medical condition or disability, you may be required to pay towards the treatment of those conditions. It would also be useful to bring any relevant information and medical records with you.

If you study for less than 6 months, you may need to pay the immigration health charge depending on your nationality and/or whether you are already living in the UK when you apply for your visa. To find out more, check the UKVI guidance.

Registration with a doctor

You should register at a doctor's surgery as soon as possible after arriving in Leeds. Do not wait until you are ill. You should choose a surgery near the conservatoire or near where you live.


In the event of an accident or medical emergency, you have the following options:

  1. Telephone your doctor

  2. Go to the Accident and Emergency Department at the Leeds General Infirmary

  3. Telephone 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice, but your situation isn't life-threatening (the call is free)

  4. Telephone 999 for an ambulance (the call is free)


Even if you are eligible for free NHS treatment, you should take out health insurance which covers the cost of repatriation in case you need to be flown home in extreme circumstances. It may also be helpful to have travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you take out insurance before you leave your home country. In addition, you will need to protect your money and belongings from theft or loss during your stay here; you can purchase this insurance in the UK.


International enquiries
+44 (0)113 222 3457 |

+44 (0)113 222 3514 |

International welfare
+44 (0)113 222 3514 |

Scholarships and fee status
+44 (0)113 222 3419 |

SU and societies
+44 (0)113 222 3507 |

Find out more

Further Education

With our BTECs in Music and Music Technology you can develop your musical interests and expertise in a conservatoire environment.


Refine your craft in Classical, Jazz, Popular, New Music, Production, Film Music or Music Business.


Further your studies, focus on your specialism and work alongside Creative Practitioners with our MMus Creative Musican.