International student FAQs

Help with common concerns

Can I begin study in January?

No, enrolment for our Further and Higher Education courses begins in September; teaching starts in late September only.
What if I am unable to start my course on time?

If there are any personal circumstances that may delay your arrival, please contact Course Enquiries on the number/email listed opposite.
Will my English be good enough?

If English is not your first language you must have a British Council English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.5 across all components or 6.0 for Higher Education, or equivalent.
IELTS tests can be taken at British Council offices in many cities around the world. For more information see
For more information see English as a Foreign Language.
Do you have any well-known tutors?

All our tutors are active musicians and experts in their fields, and we also welcome many high profile visiting professors and artists who work closely with students and give talks, concerts and workshops.
Do you offer joint degrees with dance or drama?

No, we provide specialist FE, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in music and music technology.
Do you have many overseas students?

We currently have about 75 international students from around 40 countries studying on our Further and Higher Education courses, out of a total of around 1,000 full-time students.
Can I apply for a place, and then defer my entry for a year?

No, we can only accept applications for the current year of entry.
For more information see How to Apply.
How do I pay my tuition fees?

For more information see Fees and Funding.
Can I access any help with living costs?

You will need to ensure that you can support yourself entirely for the duration of your time in the UK, as international students have no recourse to public funds. Successful applicants will receive comprehensive information about costs before their arrival in the UK.
For more information see Fees and Funding.
International students as well as Home and EU students are eligible for our three excellence scholarships. The scholarship takes the form of a partial fee remission of varying amounts, for up to three years subject to annual review. There is no need to apply for this.  If you are suitable, it will be offered after the audition. 
For more information see International Tuition Fees.

Course enquiries

0113 222 3407 |

Where to stay

Visiting us? See our exclusive hotel offer 

Find out more

Further Education

With our BTECs in Music and Music Technology you can develop your musical interests and expertise in a conservatoire environment.


Refine your craft in Classical, Jazz, Popular, New Music, Production, Film Music or Music Business.


Further your studies, focus on your specialism and work alongside Creative Practitioners with our MMus Creative Musican.